«Back to about St. Joseph's school history
Fr. Leo John Dehon March 14, 1843
Fr. Henry Hogebach
1923: Fr. Henry Hogebach, SCJ came to the US from Germany. His ministry led him to the Lower Brule Reservation in South Dakota.
In the face of these dismal predictions, Father Hogebach purchased the property. School opened in the fall of 1927 with 53 Lakota (Sioux) boys and girls. In the following years, the school saw many hard times, but through God's grace and Fr. Hogebach's dedication school opened every fall.
Through the gifts from many generous friends, Father Hogebach was able to obtain enough supplies to meet the needs of the children and Benedictine Sisters who worked there.
Much of his time was spent raising funds to keep the school open; donations of clothing, shoes, medication and other supplies were greatly appreciated and well-used ... just as they are today.
Over 85 years later, St. Joseph’s Indian School serves 200 Lakota boys and girls, providing them with a safe, stable environment that responds to the needs of the whole person.
For more information about St. Joseph's Indian School's history: